Interested in a new kind of contraception?
If you’re looking for healthy, natural, reliable birth control and are excited to get to know your cycle in a whole new way, the Symptothermal Method (STM) of Fertility Awareness may be a great choice for you.
In our world today, we have a dizzying array of birth control options, which come with an even more dizzying array of gnarly side effects. Most of us have been on hormonal birth control at one time or another, and suffered from weight gain, headaches, irritability, ‘the crazy,’ and a loss of our sense of self and internal compass. Quite the state to be in while trying to enjoy the freedom to have intercourse 24/7! Some have tried IUDs, which come with the risk of puncturing your uterus, or diaphragms and caps, which require some pretty involved and awkward preparation for loving. While I'm glad these options exist and know they're great for many women, I'm glad they're not the only possibilities out there.
I'm here to tell you there's another way.
- You can have birth control that’s as reliable as the pill without the side effects.
- You can avoid pregnancy without flooding your body with fake hormones or devices.
- You can live in sync with your body’s rhythms, rather than overriding them.
- You can know exactly where you are in your cycles, even if they vary widely.
- You can avoid pregnancy now without compromising your fertility in the future.
- You can use the method effectively, even if you’re not a woo-woo in-tune kind of woman.
- You can never run out of condoms, pills, rings, sponges, spermicide etc. ever again.
- Thank goodness :)
'KNOW YOUR CYCLE' Classes
It’s now easier than ever to learn the Symptothermal Method of Fertility Awareness through my in-person classes offered in Seattle, as well as at the wonderful Community Well in San Francisco. I will teach you to document and interpret your own body signals, and how to make choices about sex that work for your body, your relationship, and your desires about when and if to get pregnant. You'll leave with a clear understanding of your own body rhythms, and how to use the method effectively in your life. Join me for one of my upcoming classes! If you're in San Francisco, financial aid is now available to my students through the Community Well Fund—check it out if you're in need.
Topics we'll cover during my comprehensive 'KNOW YOUR CYCLE' Class:
- How to tell every day whether you might be fertile.
- How to confidently check and confirm your body's reliable indicators of fertility.
- How to chart and learn to interpret your charts as a window into your wellness.
- Uncover the health of your hormones, and when/whether you’re ovulating.
- Body basics and anatomy of the ovaries, uterine tubes, amazing clitoris etc.
- Beyond menstruation—all four seasons of our monthly cycles.
- What's normal and healthy, and what’s outside the range.
- The relationship between temperature, hormones, fluids, and your cycle.
- Cervical fluid, the different types, functions, and what it means.
- The rules to follow to use Fertility Awareness for reliable birth control.
- FAM during contraception, conception, breastfeeding, perimenopause etc.
- Hands-on demos and activities to ensure you’re confident and ready to use the Method!
The Symptothermal Method is customizable based on your lifestyle, and your sexual needs and desires. The Method's job is to let you know when you are in your fertile window, when there is a possibility of conception. Based on that information, you choose what you’d like to do and what risks you’re willing to take. If you want close to 100% efficacy you can abstain during your fertile window. If you’d like to enjoy intercourse during that time, but still want to keep the risk of pregnancy low, you can use one or two additional methods of birth control, for example a condom and withdrawal. There are specific rules that must be followed for FAM to serve as an effective method of birth control. My classes will make these details crystal clear for you.
I’ve studied numerous Symptothermal & Fertility Awareness methods and techniques—Justisse, Billings Ovulation Method, Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and Grace of the Moon. The Symptothermal Method (STM) I teach is based primarily on the signs of cervical fluid and temperature. Every day we monitor these signs to decipher whether we are fertile. This is NOT the rhythm method based on standard calculations, nor is it equivalent to even the most advanced fertility apps on the market. This approach will enable you to know exactly where you are in your cycle so you can make the right choices for yourself every day. This is the most effective form of Fertility Awareness science has to offer. Check out this 20-year in-depth scientific study on effectiveness for more details.
I am open to working with students of all genders, sexual preferences, backgrounds, and spiritual practices—every one of us deserves to understand this basic body literacy. Join me!