WHAT IS MAYA ABDOMINAL THERAPY?
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy (ATMAT) is a form of bodywork that tends to the core of the body, and is best known for supporting reproductive health, digestion, pregnancy and birth. It’s based on a folk healing modality that comes from Belize, and was shared internationally by my teacher Dr. Rosita Arvigo. After earning her doctorate in Napropathy, Dr. Arvigo was mentored for years by the renowned Maya shaman Don Elijio Panti, and also studied with lifelong Belizian midwife Miss Hortence Robinson. Maya Abdominal Therapy is not just for the uterus, as many believe, but includes the abdomen, back, sacrum and hips. It is deeply healing and well-loved by women throughout all phases of their lives.
Our bodies are wonderful at maintaining and returning to optimal health. They depend upon the flow of blood, lymph, qi and nerve sensation to support wellness and balance. Unfortunately, these systems of flow are easily interrupted, sometimes temporarily, and other times much more chronically. A very common interruption of our bodies’ healing flow occurs when the uterus becomes displaced. Don Elijio firmly believed that a woman’s center is her womb, and that "If a woman's uterus is out of balance, so is she.”
The uterus is not held up by any bones—it is supported by an intricate web of ligaments, muscles, and the walls of the vagina. Ideally, this web of support suspends the uterus so that it floats comfortably between the bladder and the colon, with its top extending just an inch or two above the top of the pubic bone. However, many things can cause the uterus to become displaced, which interrupts the flow of blood, qi, lymph and nerve connection to the reproductive organs and beyond.
Mayan Abdominal Therapy gently restores healing and balance to the reproductive and digestive organs, and to the body structures that support them. Its benefits are therefore quite far reaching, and are relevant to women throughout their lives.
a few reported benefitS:
- improve your menstrual health
- balance your hormones, regulate cycles and decrease pain
- support healthy digestion, absorption and elimination
- support your fertility when you're ready to conceive
- click here to learn about fertility...
PREGNANT & NEARING BIRTH:
- help your body grow, adjust, transform
- ease the strain on your ligaments, and give space to your organs (bladder, stomach and lungs!)
- improve digestion, relieve constipation
- increase your body knowledge and connection with your baby
- release tension and soften the muscles to prepare for a more timely birth
- encourage optimal fetal positioning for quicker and gentler birth
- click here to learn more about prenatal massage...
RECOVERY AFTER PREGNANCY:
- clear out any remaining uterine lining
- encourage the uterus to return to its pre-pregnancy size and position
- wrap and close the body and the bones
- bring warmth, flow, and healing back to the tender womb
- encourage the body to return to regular cycling when the time is right
- click here to learn about maya massage after birth or loss...
PERI-MENOPAUSAL & WISE WOMEN:
- support the body through menopause and beyond
- bring increased flow, sensation and life to the sexual center
- reconnect with the womb space for internal guidance and power
- return to balance and health in your creative center after menopause or hysterectomy